What’s your number one priority to any child in your care?
Safety. Always the safety of a child comes first. This much is a given and applicable whether in our out of a spotlight.
Last week we explored sectoral determinations of the department of labour regarding the legal limitations of working hours and break times for children under the age of 15 years old working in the film industry. What about safety? While working hours are a large part of keeping a child safe from exhaustion and abuse, let’s take a look at the safety requirements for children working in the performing arts sector.
- While we mentioned that is is a necessity for regular breaks and the provision of meals, employers are also required to provide a safe area for children to rest and play.
- It’s important that at all times children are accessible by the child’s parent, legal guardian or child minder has reasonable access to a child during a call.
- At all times the child should be visible and audible to you as the childminder, to the parent or legal guardian.
- The Parent, legal guardian or childminder must accompany the child or children to wardrobe, make up and to the dressing room.
- On set as a childminder, guardian, parent or employer its important to remember that if a child is not ready or fit to perform, the child may not be forced to do so.
- Employers must ensure that children are not exposed to any unhealthy practices, physical danger, emotional harm or any stress whilst on call.
Out and About
Its fairly common for children to be required to be on film sets away from their homes and overnight, but what are the requirements that employers must fulfill if they would like a child to be available on a remote set?
- The parent or legal guardian needs to agree to the request and full details of the accommodation must be provided.
- Accommodation on an overnight location needs to be offered free of charge to the child, their parent, legal guardian or child minder.
- The accommodation offered must be clean, comfortable and safe as well as offer suitable toilet and washing facilities and additionally may not be occupied by any other adults, except for the parent, legal guardian or child minder.
What about Transport?
Did you know that safe transport must be provided to children and the parent, legal guardian or child minder, between the home and the workplace,on request whenever the child required to travel at the beginning and at the end of a workday without delay? Yup that’s correct, on request, at the cost of the employer, transport must be provided.
Want regular childcare related advice? Stay tuned and subscribe to receive our latest articles or join our Facebook group.
Written By: Bianca Steyn
If you have any childcare related questions or would like to market with us please drop us a line at email@example.com or visit our websites; Sitters4u or the MomsLinkDirectory. We are also open to reciprocal marketing offers and love promoting local business. So if you have a local business and think moms and dads or our child care team would be interested, get in touch. Get noticed, and yes, it is free. Let’s grow business together South Africa.
Coming soon. Sign up to get notified of the launch of our new premium babysitting app in your area. Introducing www.SitSnapp.com. Find a babysitter or childminder in a Snapp, with little more than a click and a tap. Peace of mind and reliable babysitting services just a few clicks away. Find out more by visiting SitSnapp on Facebook here.