There is a silent tragedy developing in our homes & schools right now & it concerns our most precious gems – our children.
Over the past 15 years, researchers have been releasing alarming statistics on the steady increase in children’s mental illness:
- 43% increase in ADHD
- 1 in 5 children have mental health issues
- 37% increase in teen depression
- 200% increase in suicide rate in children 10 – 14 years of age!!
There have always been children who are born with disabilities & despite their parent’s & teachers best efforts, they continue to struggle. However many other children are greatly shaped by the environments provided by the parents.
These days children are being deprived of a basics of a health childhood:
- Emotionally available parents
- Balanced nutrition
- Clearly set out rules & guidelines
- Creative play & social interaction
- Outdoor play
Instead they have:
- Distracted parents
- Sense of entitlement
- Parents who allow the children to rule the home
- Unbalanced nutrition
- Inadequate sleep
- Indoor sedentary lifestyle
- Endless technological stimulation
In no way is it possible to raise healthy children in such an unhealthy environment! It;s clear that the consequences are tragic!
How do we fix this problem?
We have to go back to the basics, we have to offer our children a well-balanced lifestyle, we have to set limits.
- Provide nutritious food & snacks
- Enforce a good sleep routine
- Involve your child in one chore per day (making their bed, picking up clothes, setting the dinner table)
- Have a technology-free dinner each night
- Teach responsibility, consequences & independence
- Don’t over protect them from small failures
- Teach your children basic skills like packing their own school bag, packing their own snacks
We HAVE to make changes in our own lives as parents to ensure that we raise a generation that will not be medicated for mental illness!
If you have any childcare related questions or would like to market with us please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our websites; Sitters4u.co.za or the MomsLinkDirectory. We are open to reciprocal marketing offers and love promoting local business.
Coming soon. Sign up to get notified of the launch of our new premium babysitting app in your area. Introducing www.SitSnapp.com. Find a babysitter or childminder in a Snapp, with little more than a click and a tap. Peace of mind and reliable babysitting services just a few clicks away. Find out more by visiting SitSnapp on Facebook here.