Spicy Maple Meatballs
- Prep/ Cooking Time: 30 minutes/ 3 to 6 hours
- Servings: makes 4 servings
- Storage: Eat immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days
- Equipment: frying pan, mixing bowl, chopping board, pot
- 1 cup soy mince
- 1 teaspoon veggie stock/ stock cube
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each of black pepper, basil, oregano, salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (panko)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- cornflour for rolling
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups plain organic tomato sauce or puree
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tsp. ground all spice
- 1 can diced pineapple, drained, 1/3 cup liquid reserved
- Cooked rice for serving
- In a large non-metallic bowl add the mince, stock, water, sauces, onion, garlic and spices.
- Stir to mix and allow to cool until it is room temperature.
- When cool, add the breadcrumbs and flour and stir.
- Roll tablespoon-full amounts of soy mince into balls and coat with cornflour.
- Fry in a pan with a small amount of vegetable oil. Once cooked all over, place in an oven to stay warm.
- Makes about 16 meatballs.
- Place crockpot on high setting.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and chopped onion. Stir and let cook until onion is slightly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add bell and jalapeno peppers, stir into the onion mixture and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch, maple syrup, pineapple juice, tomato sauce, all spice, and liquid smoke (if using). Stir together until blended and pour onto the pepper mixture.
- Stir in the meatballs and diced pineapple.Cover and let cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. The sauce should be reduced and thick, meatballs heated all the way through.
Serve over cooked rice or with Christmas around the corner, why not even serve these at the Christmas table?Enjoy.
Got any great Meatless Monday ideas of your own? Post a link or leave a comment below. For more great articles and tips, please subscribe to receive our latest articles or join our new Facebook group: Facebook.com/ChildCareSA. Got a childcare related question? Drop us a line at info (@) childcaresa.com or visit our website Childcaresa.com | Sitters4u.co.za