What are the key skills a child should be encouraged to develop between the ages of 2 and 4 years old? How can you best equip a child to develop a passion for literature or a beautiful penmanship?
Today we look at these skills at a glance. Key skills to be developed should include:
- Adding new words to the child’s spoken vocabulary.
- Children should be encouraged to speak in longer sentences.
- They should be learning to listen carefully in order to fully understand what you are saying and being taught to ask the meaning of a word, if they do not understand it.
- They should start to enjoy reading books, and become familiar with a range of books and rhymes.
- Children should begin to recognise print and know what it is for.
- They should be capable or start to pick out sounds in certain words.
- They will begin to recognise certain letters of the alphabet and how to form them.
- They will develop better fine motor control with a pencil or crayon.
Subscribe to be notified of next weeks language development article: ‘ Keep Talking’.
For more great articles and tips, please subscribe to receive our latest articles or join our new Facebook group. Got a childcare related question? Drop us a line at sitters (@) sitters4u.co.za or visit our website: www.sitters4u.co.za