Meat Free Spaghetti Bolognese
- Prep/ Cooking Time: 10 minutes/25 minutes
- Servings: makes 4 servings
- Storage: Eat immediately or up to 1 day later
- Equipment: frying pan, mixing bowl, chopping board, pot
- 2 cup’s soya mince
- 500g baby or rosa tomatoes
- 2 tins of tomato paste
- 1 onion cut and finely chopped
- 2 table spoons chopped mixed herbs (we love this recipe with fresh chopped thyme, origanum, rosemary and mint)
- Vegetable based stock cubes or powder
- 2 teaspoons of garlic
- meat spice
- olive oil
- Spaghetti (rice pasta or brown whole wheat pasta are great healthy options)
- Fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the pot for your spaghetti, on the boil and follow the cooking instructions to cook.
- Chop your onions and brown them in a pan with the garlic and herbs. Tip: Leave them to brown without oil, add a bit of water, let that evaporate and continue until fully browned, then add a dash of olive oil.
- In your mixing bowl, add 2 cups of stock to your soya mince and let it rehydrate for 10 minutes.
- Add the mince to the garlic, onion, and herbs and meat spice. Add another dash of olive oil and the chopped tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes. (Hint: Remember to keep checking on the spaghetti).
- Add your tomato paste to the mix, pop on the lid and simmer for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve atop spaghetti with a few fresh sprigs of basil.
For more great articles and tips, please subscribe to receive our latest articles or join our new Facebook group. Got a childcare related question? Drop us a line at sitters (@) sitters4u.co.za or visit our website: www.sitters4u.co.za