To assist you to find the best staff available, we have put together a list of great questions to ask a reference.
When you first call, give your name, explain who gave you the person’s details and explain that you would like to do a reference on the candidate you are calling about. Then ask:
- Ask the reference if they know the applicant
- Ask how the reference met the candidate.
- Ask if the reference has any personal relationship or family ties to the candidate.
- Ask when the reference met the candidate.
- Ask what the references occupation is.
- Ask how long the applicant worked for the candidate.
- How many children does the reference have?
- Ask the ages of the references children when the candidate was assisting.
- What were the applicant’s responsibilities when working for the reference?
- How did applicant discipline the children?
- Ask the reference to describe the applicant’s general daily appearance?
- Ask about the applicants interaction with the references children.
- Did the applicant take the initiative to keep them busy with age appropriate games, projects and outings?
- Did the reference and their children enjoy being in the applicant’s presence?
- Did the reference ever have any issues with time keeping or the applicant’s responsibilities that were unsatisfactory?
- Did the applicant obey the references rules and regulations at home?
- Ask the reference to describe the candidates personality?
- Ask what were the applicants worst personality traits.
- What was the applicants best personality traits?
- Why did the applicant leave the references employment?
- Would the reference hire the candidate again?
- Does the reference consider the applicant to be mature, emotionally stable, and healthy?
- Carefully review the resume and references provided by the applicant.
For more great articles and tips, please subscribe to receive our latest articles or join our new Facebook group. Got a childcare related question? Drop us a line at sitters (@) sitters4u.co.za or visit our website: www.sitters4u.co.za